Cosmetic bonding is the process of applying a tooth-colored composite material to improve the appearance of a tooth.
Tooth bonding is an effective way to conceal minor stains, chips, and discolorations on your teeth, restoring a natural looking and attractive appearance to your smile. During a tooth bonding procedure, the tooth is painted with a thin coating of a durable, natural looking resin material in order to mask imperfections. After treatment, the tooth is stronger, looks better, and is virtually indistinguishable from the rest of your other teeth. This process improves the aesthetics of your smile while allowing the tooth to maintain a natural appearance. In order to bond a tooth, tooth colored material is added to the tooth to build it up.
Bonding is often used to:
- Correct the shape of a chipped tooth
- Correct the appearance of a cracked tooth
- Provide more even tooth color
Advantages of bonding over other treatments include:
- Bonding can be a less expensive treatment than other cosmetic options
- An appointment for bonding treatment usually takes less than one hour to complete
- Bonding usually allows the tooth’s structure to be preserved
Bonding may sometimes be preferred over veneers or crowns but may not be as long-lasting or durable. Bonding material can stain from coffee, tea, tobacco or some foods so proper home care is important.